Saturday 1 March 2008

Moving in

I may have arrived in the UK nearly two months ago, but I wouldn't say that I'd moved in. Not until today. But let me back up.

When the time came to start packing for the move to the UK, I had to make a decision. Did I plan to be there temporarily so putting most of my stuff in storage would make sense, or did I want to be there long-term making storage unneeded? In the end, I chose something in the middle. Some of my large furniture pieces went into storage, anything with an electrical plug was sold, given away, or trashed, and then finally a couple of things I just could not live without were planned to be shipped to the UK.

I officially entered the UK on 12 January and set up house with a pair of great friends, Rob and Sally. I can't say enough how nice it was to have a nice stable place to stay as soon as I got to the UK. It gave me the opportunity to do some looking for a flat before being forced to move in. It took me about 3 weeks, but I eventually found and signed the paper work on a two-bedroom flat in Hedge End. This was all well and good, but it still took me about another week to even move in as I had absolutely no furniture. When I did get some furniture, it was only a bed, so I still didn't feel like I'd moved in. Rather it was a place where I spent the night, a lot like a hotel room.

But over the last couple of weeks, I've been slowly but surely getting the place fixed up and the best thing happened this weekend. I got my boxes of stuff I just could not live without and finally set up house.


It took the better part of a day, but I'm completely unpacked with everything I needed and I feel like I've moved in. Now, there's still no real furniture to speak of, but that doesn't really matter. :)

No comments: