Friday 28 March 2008

Some sort of milestone

Since I don't have a car here in the UK yet, I do a lot of cycling simply going to work and back. The route is about 12km to 15km depending on which way I travel. When you ride four or five days a week that really starts to add up both in distance and wear and tear on your body and bike. During the last week in fact, my bike has developed a problem where I can't really stop pedaling while riding. Apparently this is a good thing (or so Adrian tells me) as it teaches you good pedaling discipline. I'm not so sure I buy into this, so I'm taking my bike into the shop to get it fixed and cleaned.

In commemoration of this display of poor maintenance I looked back over my riding so far. Using my Garmin Edge GPS and Ascent, I've determined that this week I passed the 1000km mark. I've also climbed over 8000m on my bike as well. It's amazing how something like that sneaks up on you. And while the weather has been pretty cold and rainy this week, I'm glad that I'm still on my bike. In fact now, I don't even want a car because I know it'll be a matter of time before I become lazy and drive every day.

Since I seem to be starting to exercise in public, I'm joining a number others in the office and entering the Test Valley Tour. The tour (which is just a collection of road and off-road cycling excursions) is set up with a couple of different distances depending on what you're comfortable riding. Most of us will be riding the 50km route, but if Jill lets me get a road bike, I'd love to try the 100km route that Rob and Adrian are riding.

1 comment:

Galen Hale said...

I assume that since you will not have a car to carry it, you will not need your dive gear back. Sweet!