Thursday 11 December 2008

A Big Day Out


Day 7:
So, I thought that day 2 was the longest drive of the trip, but I was wrong.  Day 4 went from Coffs Harbour to Surfers Paradise which was a 4 hour drive.

The morning started with a fun breakfast at a place called Brekky Baa.  We'd passed it on the way in the night before and Jill decided that we'd eat there.  I'm not sure how she knew, but it was very cute and had good food.  We left there to make one final stop on the way out of town.  Jill had been talking about this Big Banana since we started the planing the trip.  It was worth stopping, just to see how excited Jill got about it, but I'll let her tell you in her blog ;)

From there I had planned to drive the whole way through to Surfers (as the locals call it), but we ran into lots of construction traffic so decided to stop at a little resort called Byron Bay.  Before lunch we stopped at the Byron Point lighthouse.  I had a ton of fun there and we got a nice bit of walking and climbing down to the water and back up.  I continue to be amazed by the clarity of the water as we could see dolphins, turtles, and rays from 100 meters up by the lighthouse.

After a pleasant lunch in the town itself, we pushed on to Surfers.  The town seems very nice and we stayed in an incredible hotel, the Q1.  Unfortunately for us, the weather was absolute crap and rained the whole time we were there.  Because of this, we decided to get Italian take out and just lounged about the hotel.

Jill Update:
Jill says she's left me emotionally, but doesn't have the car keys so can't leave me physically.  Result!

No comments: